[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Setting bitrate

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Wed Oct 15 15:57:09 EDT 2003

At 01:29 PM 10/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Sort of on-topic for this thread, I'd like to know what people with ivtv
>and a PVR-250 are getting in terms of GB/hr.  That is what capture
>resolution, video and audio bitrate results how many GB/hr.
>
>    I think 2GB/hr is too large, and I'm wondering how other people are
>doing.

In my init script, I set:
        /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -v input=3,output=1
        /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -c bitrate_peak=8000000,bitrate=6000000
        /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl
--set-codec-params=dnr_mode=3,dnr_spatial=2,dn
r_temporal=4,dnr_type=0

This gives me just under 3GB/hr.    This is probably on the high end of
things.   Perhaps overkill.  But I'm mostly interested in highest quality
possible.    If it's something I want to keep I transcode it into an XVID
AVI or lower bitrate DVD-ready MPEG2 file on my windows machine.  (with
noise filtering)

-WD