[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Setting bitrate

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Oct 15 09:50:05 EDT 2003

Graham Siener wrote:
| I'm running Myth .11 with a PVR 250.  I don't want to record at full
| bitrate, rather at 5Mbps/8Mbps peak.  I've set this with
|
| # /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -c bitrate=5000000,bitrate_peak=8000000
|
| But upon restart, this setting is reset.  If I set this when the
backend is
| off, it works fine.  But I would like the setting to stick without
having to
| change it back all the time.  I thought I could do this through setup->tv
| setup->recording settings, but it doesn't seem to work.
|
| With 5/8 an hour is about 2.4GB/hr, and 8/18 gives me 3.6.
|
| Sorry if this was too wordy, I just wanted to make sure I was clear.  I've
| searched but haven't really found anything...
|
| Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help!

I'm sure there are several suggestions for where to run this at startup.
Somethere in the init.d process is common, rc.local is common.

Personally, I made 2 shell scripts, mythstart and mythstop, and I run
mythstart after a 5 second GDM login.

mythstart runs everything needed, the backend, lircd, irxevent, makes
sure the modules are all loaded beforehand, uses nvtv to set the TVout
just right, configures ivtv with all my tweaks and runs mythfrontend.

mythstop kills all the myth processes and returns nvtv settings to
normal so I can use X to debug a problem if I need to.

This is convenient for they way I do things. Myth starts automatically,
and I can easily switch to a virtual console or ssh into the box and run
mythstop then work on something. Then I just run mythstart and it' all
back and running.

I only stop myth when I'm working on something that will interefere with
mythbackend so I don't disturb recording schedules.