[mythtv-users]: video and sound are not synchron

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 16 14:58:16 EDT 2003

On Thursday 16 October 2003 08:36 am, Frank Hilwalserbäumer wrote:

> > Sorry, I meant 'capture settings', not 'specs'.  Too much going on at
> > work today... :-)
>
> Here are some details about my sound configuration:
>

> When I try to do 'aplay /dev/dsp' I still get some noise but sound and TV
are
> synchron as far as I set 'capture = on' for the capture device. That looks a
> little bit strange to me. Is that really the way I have to set it up?

Yes; if your sound & video are in sync with no 'echo' in LiveTV now, then
you've done it correctly.

> > > Frank, are you trying to use MPEG4 or RTJPEG? I don't think a 1GHz
> > > Athlon has enough juice to reliably encode and watch TV using MPEG4. I'd
> > > suggest trying RTJPEG, lower the bit rate and capture resolution, and
> > > see if you get something acceptable.
>
> Capture settings are RTjepg, quality 170, audio mp3, sample rate 32000,
> quality 7.
>
> LiveTV still buckles and stops for a part of a second sometimes.
>
> The output of mythbackend is
>
> ##################################
> Starting up as the master server.
> Probed: /dev/video - Television
> Probed: /dev/video - Composite1
> Probed: /dev/video - S-Video
> 2003-10-16 09:07:10 adding: athlon as a player 1
> 2003-10-16 09:07:11 adding: athlon as a player 0
> 2003-10-16 09:07:11 adding: athlon as a player 0
> 2003-10-16 09:07:11 adding: athlon as a remote ringbuffer
> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> audio volume set to '65535'
> ioctl VIDIOC_G_FMT: Invalid argument
> strange error flushing buffer ...
> VIDIOCSYNC: Input/output error
> VIDIOCSYNC: Input/output error
> Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
> ###################################
>
> mythfrontend tells me:
> ###################################
> connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
> Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
> Over/underscanning. V: 0.000000, H: 0.000000, XOff: 0, YOff: 0
> Using XV port 56
> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
> Changing from None to None
>
> Sorry for such a long description but I hope you can make further
suggestions
> now.

Hmmm, can't really help you with this part... is DMA enabled on your hard
disk?  Is your machine doing other things besides Myth that could eat up CPU
or I/O resources?  Other than that, it's out of my realm of expertise.

-JAC