[mythtv-users] TV Out on the dreaded Raedeon card

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 18 00:41:31 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 17, 2003, at 18:17 US/Pacific, cmisip wrote:

> so the open source radeon driver which is part of the XFree86 release
> has tv out capabilities supported and works with mythtv .11 (with the
> pchdtv problems).

No, the radeon driver DOES NOT have TV-Out capabilities. I was using it
(still am) on a system hooked to a monitor.

> and the fglrx driver does have tv out but does not work with mythtv
> .11.  This is with the 9800 radeon.

The fglrx driver DOES have TV-Out capabilities, but I had issues using
the fglrx driver w/a pcHDTV card, while only connected to a monitor.
But ymmv...

> Please correct me If I am wrong.

Certainly. :)

> I just want to be as informed as possible before that 300 dollar
> investment.

Probably prudent. ;p

> Currently weighing wether to get a geforce 5900 (upgrade
> should be painless ) versus an ati 9800 (faster gaming). TV out with
> MythTV is what is important to me for Linux, and 3D acceleration in
> Windows.

The GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and Radeon 9800 Pro are extremely close to
one another in terms of gaming performance. Each has a slight edge in
one category or another, but the percentage difference is nearly
insignificant in most cases. The two are more or less equivalent, so
far as I'm concerned. You'll have less problems (driver and software
related) under Linux with the GF, but the Radeon will run cooler and
won't cover up an entire PCI slot...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE