[mythtv-users] HDTV question

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Mon Oct 20 10:26:25 EDT 2003

Okay so I've had the pcHDTV a couple weeks now and haven't had much
chance to play with it. I did notice fairly quickly though that it
wasn't playing things back quickly enough. So I went out and bought a
different GeForce with IDCT acceleration so I could use that. Compiled
myth for it tried it out, got the black and white overlays indicative
that it was working, but it was still slow, if not slower than before.
So I took it back and bought a faster processor, from XP 2000+ to XP
2600+. Tried it out again and again it was choppy audio and video. So I
think my bottleneck may be elsewhere. I need to do more testing, like
checking CPU usage while watching to find out if it is pegged or has
some room. I was wondering if anyone who's had some experience with HD
streams could be of any help. Where should I check? I've got a 7200 RPM
HD, 512 megs of ram, Asus A7N8X mobo. I'm running a vanilla Mandrake 9.1
kernel. Also, will any of the hardware decoders help with this? Thanks
for all your help can't wait to start really using this stuff.

Jason Schloer
P.S.
The stream I was trying to watch is a 0 fps 480P stream with a 48000 hz
AC3 audio track.