[mythtv-users] Frontend lockup when deleting recordings

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Mon Oct 20 15:34:14 EDT 2003

On 20 Oct 2003 at 16:25, Joseph Caputo wrote:

> Well, you're watching a previously recorded program, not LiveTV, so what do
> you need a tuner for?

That's what I figured, I was surprised when it stopped recording.

>  The only question is: does your system have enough power (CPU, IO bandwidth,
> memory) to simultaneously record 2 programs while watching a third.  You've
> cut your system specs out of the thread in this message, so I can't say, but I
> see below that at least one of your tuners is a TV Wonder, and it looks like
> maybe the second one is a PVR-250, correct?  With good-to-average capture
> settings, I'd say you'd probably want a 2GHz machine; you might squeak by with
> 1.5GHz.

Yes, Athlon XP2400+, 512mb PC133, VIA KT133a motherboard, 7200rpm ATA100
drives, 40gb Seagate (os) and 120gb Maxtor (recordings).  PVR250 and ATI TV
Wonder.  When I had only and XP1800+ and 384mb and no PVR250 (TV Wonder and
Aver TVPhone), I could just barely have 2 recordings while watching one of
them (jerky).

> BTW, how did you determine that the 2nd show stopped recording when you
> started watching a previously recorded show?

Because as soon as I realized that I was watching 2 shows while recording, I
exited watching a prerecorded show and popped back into the recorded
programs, it showed 2 programs as yellow, both starting at 10am, I then went
into delete recordings and see the same thing, I exit out of delete
recordings and go back in and the size for show 1 has increased while size
for show 2 has not.

> Whoa, you've got too many variables here.  I really think you need to get some
> backtraces, if you're having lockups and crashes.  My head hurts just trying
> to follow what you did.  Try solving one problem at a time.  Enable verbose
> logging in mythbackend and see if that is at all informative for you.

The only time I have lockups (generally front end only) is when I try to
delete a recording while another (or multiple) show(s) is being recorded.

Verbose logging, good idea, I'll have a look at that before doing anything
further.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting