[mythtv-users] Re: Introduction & Questions

Todd D. Woodward toddw at ashbean.com
Tue Oct 21 17:23:03 EDT 2003

Thank you for the response Jarod...

Quoting "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>:

> Jarod Wilson, Seattle, WA. :)

Howdy Pacific Northwest neighbor.

>> After doing some homework reading here and there (including Mark
>> Cooper's
>> excellent how-to)
>
> Actually, Mark Cooper only maintains the pvrhw site. He hasn't written
> a HOWTO that I'm aware of. One of the new co-admins did write one
> though (that would be me)...

Ah! Then I have you to thank for the EXCELLENT how-to. Well written.

> A very solid starter system. Don't get an additional 350 though, that's
> a waste of money. For the second card, get a 250 (or the OEM version
> off eBay). And only get the first 350 over a 250 if you intend to use
> the 350's TV-out.

Thanks for the tip.

Should I assume from your comment (and others I have read) about the TV-out,
that the TV-out is better coming from the 350 than from the Pundit?

>> *Am I right in concluding that the Pundit's front panel memory card
>> reader isn't
>> working right in Linux yet or in MythTV?
>
> Correct. The issue is the lack of Linux support for the card reader, so
> it isn't something MythTV can do anything about just yet, I believe.

Looks like support for it is making it into a future version of the Linux kernel
at some point.

>> * AAC isn't supported yet?
>
> As in AAC audio files, playable via MythMusic? No, I believe they are
> not yet supported (unless I missed something in the 0.12 release notes).

What player does MythMusic use? XMMS has plugins available for AAC.

>> * I would assume that a MythTV based system would work just like a
>> DVD/CD
>> player...Stick in the CD, press play, and away you go, right?
>
> More or less. You have to load up either the MythMusic module for an
> audio CD or the MythDVD module to watch a DVD, then press play.

Easy enough to be sure!!!!

--
Todd D. Woodward
toddw at ashbean.com

"When you lose hope, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that can stop
us from achieving that which may be just a little out of reach right now."
--Dennis Kucinich

DENNIS KUCINICH: The Progressive Choice for President. www.kucinich.net
Speaking Truth to Power: The Mike Malloy Show. www.mikemalloy.net