[mythtv-users] Comments and a question about nuvexport

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 23:46:04 EDT 2003

Okay, I've finally had success in creating an SVCD!  For now, I entered
the commands manually that would have been executed by nuvexport.  Going
on a suggestion that maybe SVCD only likes certain audio sampling rates,
I decided to try resampling my 32KHz audio (limitations of btaudio).
For the audio step, in order to resample my 32KHz audio into 44.1KHz, I
used sox to resample (no other conversion), then ran toolame on the
resulting file to get the mp2 audio.  Next I'm going to see if I can
build sox into the audio command pipeline in nuvexport by sending the
output to stdout ('-' as the ouput file).  However, now I have a
question:  if you don't have toolame, nuvexport uses mp2enc to encode
the audio, but the command actually builds a pipeline using: audio FIFO
-> ffmpeg -> mp2enc.  Is there some reason ffmpeg can't be used
directly?  AFAIK ffmpeg supports mp2 encoding, so why pipe it to mp2enc?
  My next question, then, is: if we allow that ffmpeg does mp2 encoding,
which is the best encoder:  toolame, ffmpeg or mp2enc?  I ask this
because ffmpeg supports resampling, where toolame doesn't seem to.  If
ffmpeg does good quality mp2 encoding, it might simplify things to get
rid of the toolame & mp2enc dependencies.  Just a thought.  I'll let you
know how my experimentation goes.

-JAC