[mythtv-users] Simple Question About TV Out Quality

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 07:45:04 EDT 2003

It is hard to see how picture quality can, as a rule,
exceed what you get from a standard TV on the cable.

In the standard TV, the cable signal is decoded by
the tuner and the resulting video is displayed.  With
Myth (or TiVo, or Replay), you're substituting a
different tuner and some additional signal processing.

If the tuner on the card is better than the TV's
built-in tuner, the picture could be better, if the
compression/decompression of the video does not
degrade the signal.  Strictly speaking, any lossy
compression (such as mjpeg, mpeg2, mpeg4) will
result in some degradation - it's just a matter of
whether it's noticable.

In principle, additional signal processing within
a digital system could remove noise that was in the
analog signal off the cable.  There's also the
potential for the digital system to correct dynamic
range problems and so forth.  But it's still an
inserted processing step and improvements over a
clean original signal should not be expected.