[mythtv-users] Reliability

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Wed Oct 22 10:14:54 EDT 2003

On 22 Oct 2003 at 10:49, Steve Prater wrote:

> I have set up and used MythTV about 5 months ago with a PVR250 and RH9.0 and
> found the stability to be unacceptable (had to restart the backend several

I've been running mythtv since 0.6 days.  If you set it up properly, get it
working nicely and don't touch it, it's very stable, start modifiying it or
the machine and you have problems.  My 0.11 setup was running beautifully for
the past 3 months, then I starting thinking this is great, lets add some
other features to the machine (my machine handles all my entertainment,
music, movies, tv etc).  Well now it's unstable in that dual recordings don't
work properly and dvd playback is problematic.

To make a long story short, build it, get it working, don't touch it.

> times a day.). Was considering giving it another shot but before I go though
If you are having the backend crash several times a day then you need to look
at your setup, that is definitely not the norm.  What steps have you taken to
troubleshoot the system?

> the massive task of installing it again, and was I wondering if the stability
> has improved on MythTV & IvTV drivers enough to be able to rely on it to stay
> up enough actually integrate this into my home entertainment center yet. So
> anyone with the PVR200... how often are you have to restart MythTV?

The only time I currently restart the system is when upgrading hardware or
other software.  The ivtv drivers seems pretty stable as long as you reset
the inputs regularly (vertical banding issue in image due to firmware probs -
see the archives for more info), other than that you should be good to go.

I am just wrestling with getting a 2nd pvr250 as and mounting them both in
one of the VIA Itx boards so that I can have a dedicated myth box.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting