[mythtv-users] Learning Remote

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 23 10:38:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 03:19, Lonny Selinger wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are specific parameters or possibly even
> some wireless keyboards that you can not use with a learning remote?
> The keyboard I have is a Logitech Y-RC14 and the remote is a SONY
> RM-AV3000: http://www.remotecentral.com/av3000/
>
> For some reason it just doesn't seem to pick up the signal and the
> only thing I could think of was possibly the key-repeat (not a steady
> signal) but it could just ne that it wont work. Does anyone have any
> suggestions or is there anyone who does have a wireless kb they've
> used to *teach* a learning remote?

Your problem is that the Logitech Y-RC14 keyboard is an *RF* keyboard.
"RF" stands for "Radio Frequency", as opposed to "IR (Infra-Red)".  You
can't use an RF device with an IR device.  If you want to have a remote
learn your wireless keyboard codes, you'll either need to get an IR
keyboard or an RF remote (though getting an RF remote might not solve
the problem if it's a different frequency).  An IR keyboard will
definitely give you what you want.

-JAC