[mythtv-users] PVR-250/ivtv hanging machine at end of recording

Charles Gillet charles at federales.com
Thu Oct 23 10:36:38 EDT 2003

Hi There,

I breezed through the ivtv and mythtv archives and couldn't find a
definitive answer on this one.  I'm running mythtv 0.12 on Redhat 9,
with ivtv source pulled from CVS on Oct 19, on an intel i810 + PVR-250,
writing to a drive running UDMA 66.

My problem, and this only happens at the end of a scheduled recording,
is that ivtv seizes the system (shells responsive in geological time)
and a flood of

kernel: ivtv: Not enough free buffers, stream 0

appears in the logs.  I have these settings in modules.conf, and updated
the mpg_buffers option based on some posts I saw.

alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   ivtv
options ivtv debug=1 mpg_buffers=99
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

Is there some giant buffer flush to disk that happens at the end of a
recording that could cause this?  My load average runs a little over 1
when it's recording, but top reports that IOwait isn't an issue. The
quality of the recorded video looks great going through mplayer and
doing a cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/file.jpg seems to work ok in a three of
four second test.  After the system seizes, it never recovers.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

-charles