[mythtv-users] Can't install mythtv-suite on Redhat 9

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 24 21:39:51 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 24, 2003, at 14:25 US/Pacific, James Pifer wrote:

> I was getting very frustrated so I had to take a break.

Understandable. ;p

> I got past this problem by installing lirc manually from RPM. It's like
> it couldn't find it through apt. Oh well, at least I'm moving forward
> again.

Hm... Strange. How 'bout the results of those package resolver commands
I sent?

> Now I'm dealing with ivtv. When I try the first command I get this:
> [root at mythtv root]# apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package ivtv-kmdl is not installed, so not removed
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 1 not upgraded.
> [root at mythtv root]#
>
> If I keep going I can run apt-get install ivtv.
> Then I modify modules.conf per the doc.
>
> When I modprobe ivtv I get segmentation fault. I restarted the machine
> and now it's kind of hosed.

Well, you probably have neither the actual kernel module (since the
above section shows nothing getting installed) or the necessary
firmware.

> I'm going to work on it tonight and see if I can get it working.

After a reboot, you'll have to reset the $KERNEL environment variable.
That probably has something to do with your failed kernel module
install. You NEED that kernel module, as well as the firmware, which is
no longer in the rpm, so you'll have to do the following:

# wget
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/pvr250/pvr250_17_21226.exe
# /usr/lib/ivtv/ivtvfwextract.pl pvr250_17_21226.exe

and

# export KERNEL=`uname -r`
# apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL

See how you're doing after that.