[mythtv-users] Lost audio on Pundit SPDIF audio out.

Gary Raposo gary at raposo.ca
Sat Oct 25 02:36:12 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm about ready to give up here so I thought I'd shoot my situation out
over the list to see if anyone else has experienced this.  Had MythTV v.011
up and running and all was great!  Then all of a sudden... no sound!  The
system was "in production" so it's not like I was tinkering with it at the
time so this was a little bit of a shock.

I've got the SPDIF out from the front of the Pundit connected to my home
theatre receiver.  The receiver has been detecting the PCM stereo stream up
until now and has had no problems decoding it.  Now it's as if the receiver
does not see the optical input (autodetect does not work and forcing the
receiver to optical does not work either).

I can see the red light coming from the SPDIF out port so I know that
something is happening on the Pundit side.  I've tested the receiver input
port and cable using a known good cable and my DVD player.  I went through
all the permutations and isolated it down to the Pundit.  Now... I'm not
sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

I checked alsamixer and the settings were unchanged (unmuted master, master
m, and PCM).  The interesting thing is that if I plug in some headphones or
computer speakers I can hear the audio so it really seems like it's not a
hardware problem.

My question is... does ALSA have some control over directing audio out over
the SPDIF interface or is the SPDIF just a slave managed bu the hardware
that mirrors the audio to all available outbound ports on the box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've looked through the list
archived and googled around but I can't find anyone that's using the
optical out on the Pundit that's having the same problem.  I'd like to stay
with the optical audio since my next mini-project will be to install a DVD
player so having the digital 5.1 sound would be nice.  Maybe I have a bad
SPDIF out port on the Pundit?  Who knows?  Hopefully, it's just a software
setting that I have to change.

HW Config:
Asus Pundit case/mobo
2.4GHz/512MB/120GB