[mythtv-users] Recording profiles changed from Myth .11 to .12 - how to do a per backend profile?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Oct 26 14:42:08 EST 2003

cmisip wrote:
> I have a master backend with an amd athlon xp 2400+ and a slave backend
> with a p3 1 Ghz.  The slave backend cannot obviously cannot keep up with
> the athlon xp master backend.  In myth .11, I had a recording profile
> with the name of the profile set to the hostname of the slave backend.
> This allowed the slave backend to record at a lower resolution and bit
> rate.  With upgrade to .12, this profile disappeared.  In place was a
> "Software Encoders (v4l based)" profile group.  While this works well
> with my Athlon master backend, the slave stutters as expected.  I tried
> to create a hostname specific configuration for the slave using my
> previous settings but somehow, the slave still uses the "Software
> Encoders (v4l based)" profile, because live tv still stuttered.  I
> proceeded to create a recording profile for the Athlon master backend
> (thinking that having a host specific entry for each system might tell
> mythtv to use those instead of the default "Software Encoders "
> profile.

This is exactly why there is the option to create a new
profile group.

>  This did not work either.

It should have...

>  Do I have to delete the the
> "Software Encoders (v4l based)" profile in order to get host specific
> profiles to be used?

No. "Software Encoders (v4l based)" is the default for all
current and future bttv cards then a new profile group will
apply to a host you want to treat as an exception.

>  Also I noticed that after I have created the host
> specific recording profiles, mythtv does not allow me to alter the
> settings anymore for resolution, bitrate, etc.  Selecting the profile
> group name for the particular host presents the first screen of the
> configuration with the bottom right of the screen marked as "Finish"
> instead of "Next" which would have allowed me to reconfigure resolutions
> as needed.

Here's the bug. Get around this and you're golden.

You should only see the page with name, card-type and hostname
when you select "(Create new profile group)". However, in a quick
test, I saw this page again when entering a new group that I had
just created. This should not happen. Next, this page does not
want to allow you to use an existing profile group name again so
you need to modify the name each time you see this page. If the
hostname selection and cardtype remain the same it is still the
same profile group. In other words, create "foo1" then when you
see this page again change it to "foo2", next time "foo1" etc.
(this is a temporary workaround until the bug is fixed ;-).
Once you modify the name and click "Finish" you will see the
page with the four profile names and you can edit the settings.

>  There is also no way to delete that I  know of the recording
> profiles once it is created although I am sure there is a mysql command
> to do this.  Anybody have any ideas on how to get per backend recording
> profiles working ?  Thanks

I don't remember if there is a mechanism to delete profile
groups but if there is it isn't obvious.

mysql> select * from profilegroups;

will show the groups. The first six are pre-defined and should
not be tampered with. So new groups are 7 or higher. There are
also entries in recordingprofiles where profilegroup is greater
than 6 and in codecparams where profile is greater than 22.

--  bjm