[mythtv-users] MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 Transcoding comparisons

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Wed Oct 29 04:35:34 EST 2003

> >>quality... is that right?  Should I expect to get any space savings from
> >>converting a 2200 MPEG2 into a 2200 MPEG4?  I have no reason to use MPEG4
> >>other than trying to save space.
> >
> >2200 MPEG2 will take the same space as 2200 MPEG4, but the MPEG4 will
> >look better.
>
> Untrue. Converting an MPEG2 to MPEG4 will not look better than the
> original MPEG2. If anything it will look worse.
>
> If you capture MPEG4 in the first place, that's another story.

If you capture MPEG2 at 6000, then convert to MPEG4 at 2200, your
result will look better (and be the same size) as if you capture
straight to MPEG2 at 2200, especially because the PVR-250 encoder is
not very good at low bitrates.

(Sorry if I was unclear; I misread his question slightly and was
actually answering your earlier question in the thread)

-jim