[mythtv-users] how can I do XvMC?

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Fri Oct 31 10:30:45 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Isaac Richards
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 7:12 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] how can I do XvMC?

On Thursday 30 October 2003 06:04 pm, Jason Schloer wrote:
> Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out there and pretend like I know
> something when I probably don't. As far as I understand it, XvMC isn't
> specifically an Nvidia GeForce thing. Off the top of my head
supposedly
> the i810 graphics chip supports it. The XvMC features are for Motion
> Compensation and have been a part of XFree86 since at least 4.2.0.

Ah, correct information for once =)  It's supported in a couple other
drivers
as well, IIRC.  Doesn't hurt to try, just have to substitute the
appropriate
libs on the linking line instead of libXvMCNVIDIA.

Isaac

Hey Isaac,
   In looking up XvMC info yesterday I noticed that the newest Nvidia
drivers implement the XvMCCopySurfaceToGlxPBuffer. I found a test app
called mpeg2play_accel here http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/.It plays
back pretty fast even with the openGL stuff compiled in and I would
think it would allow us to edit(overlay) the graphics after
decompression. I was wondering if it would be of any use towards getting
a true color OSD back for XvMC acceleration. I don't know the openGL
limitations as far as textures go, but I would think this could also be
used to allow the 3D graphics card to do the scaling, and possibly even
odd scalings for handling standard definition feeds on widescreens and
vice versa. Anyway, I was wondering if the Myth framework would allow
for something like this eventually. I don't know that I've got the
knowledge to tackle it yet, but I'm interested. Thanks for the
clarification.

-Jason