[mythtv-users] Re: Mandrake 9.1 LIRC headaches

Steven Bennett sablists at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 10:27:09 EST 2003

Mark wrote:
> I have been trying all night to get a custom kernel compiled for a new
> version
> of LIRC, and I am getting nowhere.  I know MDK9.1 LIRC is broken, so
> I was trying to recompile the kernel with serial port modularized before I
> install the new LIRC, and I can't get the dumb kernel compiled!  It keeps
> failing on make dep with an Error 2, it can't find some file related to
> LIRC.

I wouldn't try reconfiguring the kernel.  Recompile it with the original
config file and minor changes, maybe, but nothing big. There are excellent
Kernel compilation instructions on LinuxQuestions.org in the FAQ forum.

Likewise, I wouldn't try the vanilla 2.4.22 source tree off of kernel.org.
I was never able to get that one to even boot -- too many Mandrakeisms to
deal with.

That said, for LIRC, you don't *need* to recompile the kernel -- you just
need to remove the bad LIRC modules.  If you look way down near the end of
the MythTV install instructions, it describes setting up the Hauppauge
remote, and as part of that, you'll find some fairly generic instructions
for cleaning all the existing LIRC stuff from your system.  Then just
install the new LIRC and you should be set.

I *did* recompile the kernel myself, solely to upgrade to the 2.4.21-0.25mdk
sources, but I could have simply installed the pre-built kernel.  The key
change I needed to do (which I could have done without a kernel recompile)
was create a new initrd file after I upgraded ALSA, otherwise it would still
load the old ALSA.  But you don't even need to do that for lirc.

-->Steve Bennett