[mythtv-users] Up and running, but have some questions/issues

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Oct 31 12:36:45 EST 2003

> > Well, this is really addressing the symptom more than the problem, but I
> > always run with 'Auto Detect Commercials' ON, and 'Auto Skip

> You know what would be cool with this?  If there was a midlevel setting.
> Currently we have  auto skip on, and auto skip off.  It would be neat to
> have a middle level that doesn't skip the commercial automatically, but
> tells the user that they could.  I would envision the following..

I've considered adding a way to allow the user to turn auto-skip on/off
while watching a show.  Your mid-level idea could be useful as well.  I'd
prefer if it worked something like this though with auto-flag on and auto-skip
set to 'alert' or whatever mid-level is.

When the user is watching a video and Myth sees a commercial start marker
it could put a small box up on the screen in the corner or something with the
number of seconds it thinks the commercial is.  I'd rather have a small box
than a big popup that could block an important part of the show for when my
not-so-near-perfect commercial detection detects wrong. :)  The user could
then hit 'Z' as normal to skip if they wanted or if not the small OSD box
would fade away in 1-2 seconds.  Still need to think of a way to allow turning
on/off auto-skip though.  There are some shows where the commercial detection
is so accurate that I want auto-skip on, but others are only 60-70% accurate
and I don't want auto-skip on when watching those.

The easy auto-skip on/off is on my TODO list, but I made a note also about
the midlevel popup in case I find some time one day before you or anyone
else implements it.
--

Chris