[mythtv-users] Size of the MPEG-2 files vs. TiVo & TV output quality

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Sep 1 03:12:10 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 01:08, Jeremy Palenchar wrote:
> So,
>
> 1) Why does Tivo use 1 gig per hour of recorded TV and the MythTv w/ WinTV
> 250 use 4gig per hour? This is troublesome to me. Shouldn't we be able to
> get as good or better compression?

Heh - who said that Tivo is 1 gig per hour?  That's only true if you use
basic quality.  If you use the highest quality setting for recordings,
you can count on 2-4 gigs per hour...

> 2) I have read posts that output quality to the TV can be problematic. I
> have seen recommendations for the GeForce 4 cards. Any specific reason for
> this? Any specific recommendations on a cheap implementation of a card that
> produces good results?

Can't help you here - I've got a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 that I can't get
overscan to work with at all.  (I'm using the NVidia driver.)

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com