[mythtv-users] Remotes, irxevent and menu navigation

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 19:11:25 EDT 2003

Isaac,

Perhaps I should clarify what I mean by "typical",
since I believe that I may have introduced the term.
Most of the TV capture cards that I have seen,
including the PVR-250, have a remote control that
include only one set of arrow-type buttons, and these
are mapped to Ch+/- and Vol+/-.  My PVR-250 remote is
like that, my XBox remote is like that (I don't use
the XBox for MythTV though), the remote for the
Leadtek WinFast card is like that, as are others (many
Hauupauge cards).  I would imagine that most people
are using remotes that came with their capture cards.

I am willing to submit a patch, as long as there is
some consensus as to how the patch should handle
things - should I just reassign the keys that handle
left/right in all of the menus to the volume controls,
or should I just allow both sets of keys to work?  My
main concern is other modules and software that they
might interact with (mplayer, for example uses
Left/Right to FF/REW).  Of course, if none of this
can't be worked out, then I won't bother.

Now, I admit, I'm going to sound like I'm at work
here, but perhaps some sort of UI guidelines should be
set for MythTV.  That would define standard keys for
certain functions, new functions can be added as a
module needs them.

Out of curiosity, what kind of remote do you use,
Isaac?  I'm looking into being able to use a decent
universal remote control to get all of the buttons
that I need.

-- Joe