[mythtv-users] [OT] Pundit IDE trouble

George Herndon gherndon at eyeontech.com
Wed Sep 3 09:25:30 EDT 2003

My apologies for the OT post, but I've wasted a fair amount of time on
this, and can't find a decent Pundit support site.

I'm trying to configure my new Pundit MythTV box and have run into a
major snag.....

As pundit users know, the box comes with only one IDE channel.  The IDE
cable and drive config is such that IF using cable select, the DVD
drive would be master and the HDD would be slave.  Cable select doesn't
work for me, so i've tried drive select and set the DVD drive as master
and the HDD as slave, with zero success.  I've tried HDD as master and
DVD as slave with zero success.  In both case, the pundit shows the
correct master device, but won't recognize the slave device.  I've seen
success reports like
http://www.mattmarsh.net/computing/pundit/hwinstall.shtml, and am
wondering if i have a BIOS issue, a cable issue, or incompatible drives.

I'm using an NEC DVD rom circa 2000, a maxtor manufactured but GENERIC
80 gig drive, and the IDE cable that came with the pundit.  The 80 gig
drive is ATA-133.  Do I need an 80 pin cable?

Any feedback or help is appreciated.

Thx, Geo