[mythtv-users] Font Problems - Arrrg!

Alexander McKinney alex_mckinney at net.com
Wed Sep 3 10:13:26 EDT 2003

OK, let me start by saying that I'm a low-level programmer who rarely deals
with GUIs.  :)

For my Myth box, I recently changed my WM from KDE to ICEWM.  Everything is
fine, except that the fonts are not working - they are small in ICE and
Myth.  I 'fixed' the ICE ones by specifically stating the fonts in the
'preferences' file, but I can't seem to get them to work in Myth.

After searching and reading in Myth, ICEWM, and google, I've tried a bunch
of things but to no avail.  I thought I was on to something when I tried
comparing 'xset -q' between the KDE operation and ICE, but the only
differences in the font-path pointed to blank fonts.dir files that were
local to the user.  The biggest problem is I don't understand how fonts
work, and see to get more confused the more I read...

I'm willing to try other WM's - but I would like to know why I'm having
problems here in case I see it again.  I currently chose ICE because I'm
looking for something really light-weight since this is a Myth-only HTPC
box.

BTW, I'm running at RC level 3.

Help!  Any suggestions or links to read are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexander

P.S.  My wife *loves* MythTV and states it has totally changed how she
watches TV!  Thanks!