[mythtv-users] Pundit TV-out quality

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Wed Sep 3 11:26:08 EDT 2003

At 09:48 AM 9/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "to de-interlace or not to de-interlace"
>thing... what's the point of deinterlacing if you're displaying to a TV
>(presumably a device that expects an interlaced picture, unless it's an
>HDTV)?  Or am I just being dense?

Because the Pundit's (and others too, I'm assuming) TV-out does rescaling
of the video as it outputs to the TV.
If the source for the TV-out is interlaced and it's resized, you'll get
video that looks like the first couple of screenshots here:
http://www.100fps.com

For this reason, you must deinterlace if you want the output to look decent.

-WD