[mythtv-users] Myth on a budget..

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Wed Sep 3 16:36:55 EDT 2003

Less hassle would definitely be the GeForce 4.  TV out basically does just work on it although you do need to download the nvidia drivers (which reminds me, I owe a guy around here a log file to help him get his overscan working right... this is the one thing I've seen anybody have any problem with on a GeForce 4).  I previously had a Matrox G400 and while I did actually manage to get the TV out working, it was about a month-long process (not 31 days straight, I'm talking off and on) and then I was not particularly satisfied when I did - the output quality I felt was overhyped, and the overscanning I needed to do gave me a weird banding artifact (wasn't there if I left the image as a little box in the middle of my TV screen).  Plus, you can't boot directly to the TV, as TV out won't start until X starts - you need to keep a monitor hooked up for when you need to reboot, and then unless you set up a script you need to type blindly to get the tv out working, since one of the steps is to disconnect *all* output before mapping it to the TV.  All in all just not a particularly pleasant experience and not worth the trouble.

Nvidia cards are easily the most Linux-friendly consumer graphics cards on the market and if you get a decent one their TV out is perfectly good.  Try to find one with the on-board Nvidia decoder chip - my Chaintech has this.  They will also boot directly to the TV output, so you don't need a monitor hooked up.

Can't help on the PVR250/350, as I just have a BT878 card... works fine for me, but with a slow CPU you'll definitely want one of the PVR cards, I can at least tell you that much.

Don't see why any GeForce 4 wouldn't work perfectly well with either PVR card though.