[mythtv-users] Re: XBOX DCT2000 Questions.

Michael Greb mikegrb at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 18:30:49 EDT 2003

Eric Smith said:
> Michael,
> Yes I would like to try the patch however I assume I will have to switch
> from using ebuilds back to using csv to apply the patch. I think this
> pretty simply under mandrake however since I am using gentoo and emerge
> I am not sure what the steps would be. Is it simply as download the csv,
> apply the patch and "make, make install" ? Do I then break the portage?
>
> I also believe that the install directories are a little different under
> the portage  /usr/bin vs /usr/local/bin and so forth.  I will need to
> modify the MakeFile to install.

Well you have a couple of options here.  You can keep the ebuild
installed, checkout the CVS, apply the path and make, make install.  As
you stated this leaves the ebuild in /usr/bin and your patched cvs in
/usr/local/bin.  You can pick the version you want to run by specifying
the full path.  The path variable will decide which one gets run if you
just give the binary name.  Another option is leave the ebuild installed,
modify the PREFIX in the settings.pro and install the patched CVS over the
ebuild.  This way portage knows it is still installed if you later emerge
something that depends on myth.  This probably isn't the best way to go as
portage will still think the last release is installed.  The final option
would be to remove the existing install through portage and then manually
install your patched CVS version to either of the locations.

Michael