[mythtv-users] Re:Recommendations for quiet Athlon cooling?

Keat Lim mythtv at keatlim.com
Thu Sep 4 11:57:35 EDT 2003

The Athlon-Powersaving-HOWTO is a great start. You may experience some
side effects like sound crackling etc depending on your setup. On my setup
it didn't cause any side effects...

Now the cheapest way to quieten your system is to replace all of your
stock fans with cheap but low rpm fans. Make sure any fans you replace are
80mm or larger fans. I avoid anything made by PC Power and Cooling because
they are highly overrated and expensive while not really that silent.

For 80mm fans if they are over .1A fans they are typically loud. I use NMB
fans that costs around 2.50 each and rated at .06A... cheap and effective.

For 60mm CPU fans... get rid of them! Easy solution is to get either a
heatsink that will accept 80mm fans which I obtained for around 6-7
dollars at svc model number gc68 or something like that. If you want to
keep your stock heatsink there are 60mm to 80mm fan adapters you can
easily pick up at your compusa store...

For those video cards with whinny 40mm fans, well you're screwed unless
you plan to spend money to get that zalman heatsink thing for your video
card. I avoided this by buying one that didn't require fan.

Replace your 80mm fans in the power supply as well, of course that will
mean opening up your ps supply... if you feel iffy about that then buy a
ps supply fan that has 120mm fans...

For more information about quiet pcs go to www.silentpcreview.com. There
are lots of links and forums you can search for.