[mythtv-users] Recommendations for quiet Athlon cooling?

Thu Sep 4 17:07:48 EDT 2003

> Can anyone recommend a low noise cooling solution for Athlons that
> actually cools?  I've heard nightmares regarding the Zalman zero-fan
> solutions, so I'm hestitant to go that route.

I could recommend something, but try:
http://www.silentpcreview.com

Also check out the SilentMaxx stuff (I think they are shipping to the US via www.silentmaxx.com now?).  You might not want to buy this stuff, but it does give you an idea as to what is possible.

For what it is worth I am using a 2.8Ghz P4 and it is basically silent.  I also have a dual P3 1Ghz in a coolermaster case with 4 case fans + 2 cpu fans + fan powered PSU and you would be hard pushed to hear it at night in a quiet room.  Get a few fans at 5/7V and a bit of noise damping on the case - make sure the HD has some isolation ...

...and MOST IMPORTANT isolate the fans!  I found tap washers from a hardware store between the fan and case dramatically cuts down the fan noise!  Quite a lot of the fan noise is vibration transmitted to the case, and much of the rest is turbulance due to air resistance (cut bigger holes...)