[mythtv-users] I think my motherboard isbroken.Anyrecommendations for a new one exclusively for MythTV use

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 4 22:58:33 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 20:12 US/Pacific, mediaserver wrote:

> Some motherboard ATA chipsets don't support hard drives greater than
> 137GB
> in size and exhibit problems best described as "weird" when so
> attached.
> You may want to consult your motherboard manufacturer for any insight
> they
> are able to share on the use of Large hard drives.   This type of
> behavior
> may be known and there may be a workaround.    Maxtor, recognizing the
> problem that large hard drives pose to some ATA interfaces, ships ATA
> PCI
> controllers with some of their larger hard drives which have chipset
> support
> for large hard drives.   I have no idea on the level of official (or
> unofficial) LINUX support for these Maxtor-sourced ATA controllers.

Those are typically Promise cards with a Maxtor sticker thrown on top.
I've got a few of them myself. All the ATA/100 and ATA/133 PCI cards
I've got work flawlessly under Linux without needing any special
drivers. They are just seen as additional ATA drives, and the drives
show up as /dev/hd[e-h] for the first one, /dev/hd[i-l] for the second,
etc., assuming you have two onboard connectors. I've got a machine with
3 of these cards in it (hooked to 5x120GB WD 8MB cache drives, software
RAID-5'd :) running Red Hat Linux 9.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE