[mythtv-users] MythDVD Rip error

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Sun Sep 7 13:52:28 EDT 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 12:18 pm, Dennis Taul wrote:
> I just went through this.
> The problem is your 'Myty Transcode Daemon' is not running. This executable
> should be under /usr/bin. The best way to get is to work is to return to
> your mythtvsetup and check the little 'automatic transcode' button.

	The two different transcoding mechansims are (currently) unrelated. Automatic
transcode is for things recorded from TV. The "Myth Transcoding Daemon" is
for ripping DVD's. It's a background process that does the work, so you don't
have to keep the RIP DVD screen up for hours while your title is being
transcoded.

>   I have mythdvd-0.11-5.rh9.at installed and am able to
>   play DVDs fine, but can't seem to use the DVD-Rip module.
>   The error I get is "Unable to connect to your Transcode
>   daemon, try pressing a number key". When I press a
>   number key, it gives up with a message saying "something
>   is really wrong".

	You want to open a console and type:

		mtd -d

	That will launch the transcoding daemon. You can put that in your startup
files to launch whenever the machine is booted if you like. But the mtd is
slightly unstable (it's a first release), so you may have to restart by hand
from time to time.

- thor