[mythtv-users] multiple LIRC devices and rpms (was: LIRC RPM)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 8 13:13:52 EDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:03:04AM -0700, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> Axel, is there a way to clearly illustrate to people that the prebuilt
> ATrpms lirc will ONLY work with Hauppauge cards, and possibly give them
> some insight into what they'd have to do to rebuild from the .src.rpm
> file for their own remote? I'll finally get some lirc rpm stuff into
> the guide this weekend...

LIRC is quite painfull, I regret having ever touched it ... :(

AFAIK there is no mechanism in LIRC to ensure that multiple devices
will work right. There has been little discussion on the lirc list on
that and some of this list have given me pointers, but usually it
boils down to inventing new major/minor lirc device numbers, renaming
drivers etc.

I think the matter needs to be brought to the lirc lists. I once
contacted the authors on a method to compile all lirc devices for
packaging them, and they usually package the sources and leave the
building to the end user.

The next best thing one could currently do is to create a miriad of
lirc rpms that conflict with each other to satisfy differnt lirc
needs. That of course still doen't solve the needs for multiple
devices, which needs to be solved upstream, but at least people
without hauppauge remotes would be happy, too.

While I'm at it, when I once asked for testers of lirc rpm, all
testers I got (I think there were 8 people) had only hauppauge
remotes.

If you are not using a hauppauge remote, you can do the following:
a) Install kernel and matching kernel-source
b) Get the lirc CVS version and the I2C patches. The latter can be
   found at
	 http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/devel/i2c/ or
	 http://delvare.free.fr/i2c/
c) Build and install lirc with reference to the above kernel(-source).

I appreciate any feedback on better lirc rpms!
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de