[mythtv-users] OT: WIRED magazine

David Evans krazyglue at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 12:49:28 EDT 2003

I found it from reading wired this weekend when I was home sick with a head
cold. I went from being a fairly knowledgeable windows only person, to say
OH my god! I need to learn Linux!!! I downloaded mandrake 9.1 and have a
dual boot setup running now. I downloaded the rpms for myth and I got mysql
to load when it boots, but im stuck there cause I have never used Linux. I
have a friend im gonna have come over who knows Linux and help me out, he
does server work though I hope he knows whats up here. (this was in about 36
hours)

I want to test out myth on the box I have now and if I like it im going to
build a myth TV instead of buying a tivo. Its so much better and the money
doesn't go to some corporate slime ball....

I have a athalon xp1600, geforce 2 gts pro with s video out (I have never
hooked a TV to it though). For the sake of this test the Linux install will
be on a 40 gig 7200 rpm deskstar, sb live 5.1, and a Intel pro 100 nic. My
capture card is a pinnacle pctv pro that I forgot I had in a box, I need to
find the remote and sensor now... but the card seems to work I didn't have
cable hooked up to it and I could pick up some local channels with xawtv. It
has the 878 chip that works with bttv, anyone have issues with this card
under myth?

This list is very informative ill be reading it a lot!!