[mythtv-users] can't change channel after reboot

and hons at rcn.com
Tue Sep 9 02:53:35 EDT 2003

I'm wondering if there are others who have had problems changing
channels after a reboot and might be able to give me some pointers.
I now have to restart both the mythbackend and modprobe my snd-via82xx
module to get mythtv flying.

If I don't modprobe snd-via-82xx, I get a message that /dev/dsp
couldn't be found/opened (as well as black screen in mythtv) and if I
don't restart mythbackend I cant' change channel in mythtv. The osd
comes up as does the numbers, but there is no content in the osd frame
and the channels don't change.

I have therefore now settled for including both commands in my
/etc/rc.local, but I can't help thinking that I'd be better of solving
the problem instead of just reloading/restarting things. I just have no
idea what to do about it or where the problem is. Any suggestions?

Here is my modules.conf file. It's the only place I can think I have
messed something up (I've probably messed up a lot of other places, but
this seemed the most obvious) as the rest is basically the JAC howto.

  # For lirc
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc
  # For ivtv
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
# For bttv and saa7134
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/v4l2
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`

alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c

# ivtv modules setup
  options ivtv debug=1 mpg_buffers=60
  options tuner type=2
  options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
  add above ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner lirc_dev lirc_i2c

alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
#ATMEL wirelesslan driver rquires this usb controller
alias usb-controller1 uhci
alias eth0 usbvnetr
post-install usbvnetr /bin/fastvnet.sh
# alias eth1 via-rhine
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

# ALSA portion
         alias char-major-116 snd
         # module options should go here
         options snd-via82xx dxs_support=3

         # OSS/Free portion
         alias char-major-14 soundcore
         alias sound-slot-0 snd-card
    # card #1
         alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
         alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
         alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
         alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
         alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

  # Save & restore settings
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

Any help is greatly appreciated
thanks
anders