[mythtv-users] Yet another HW suggestion request

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 10 00:22:17 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 17:19 US/Pacific, Jeff C wrote:

> I have a friend who is willing to throw US0$650 ($1000 Canadian :)) at
> a nice myth box.  Form factor is important to him.  I built my system
> around a low end ECS K75SA Pro mobo/PVR 250/SB Live! in standard
> beige, but he wants something a little nicer.  From all my reading on
> the list, it sounds like the slick higher-end system of choice right
> now is the Pundit and the PVR 250.  I wanted to get some feedback from
> everyone, especially recent builders, on what processor, memory and HD
> configs they recommend, as well as the quality of the TV out on the
> mobo (I assume its composite and not S-Video?  Is there an S-Video
> option).   Thoughts?

http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250#hw

Look at my current system there. All told, the parts cost me less than
$650, I love the case, and I've got quite a bit more flexibility than a
Pundit, because its got 3 PCI slots, an AGP slot, 3 3.5" drive bays,
and 2 5.25" drive bays. I don't actually have a Pundit to compare noise
with, but this thing is pretty darned quiet. And the black case goes
nicely with the rest of my A/V equipment.

I'm also looking at possibly moving to an Asus A7N8X-VM micro-ATX
board, which has pretty much onboard everything. Though Linux nForce2
support isn't the greatest just yet...

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-vm/overview.htm

--Jarod

--