[mythtv-users] Re: TV-Out: AITech Scan Converter vs CX2587x

Fred byq1iis02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:28:36 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:28, martin dollenkp wrote:
> Look for Scan-do and Extron, they very good I think the Scan-do has a better
> picture than my Extron though.
>
> Good scan converters cost over a thousand dollars but you can get older models
> on ebay cheap, I picked up a Scan-do 1024 for $36 on ebay, but watch out,
> lots don't come with power supplies when you see them for cheap, the Scan-do
> can be hooked up to your computer power supply because it is +5 volts.

Huh.  I just took a look around at this class of converters on eBay.  I
want to use component outputs but these seem to supply component outputs
compatible with Betacam & MII, which are not necessarily compatible with
consumer grade component inputs like those on my Sony TV.  See [1] for
more details; also I think I read somewhere the difference is in the
color weighting (not sure what that means).  Exciting though:  It's
possible to pick up a $5,000 Scan Do Ulta on eBay right now for $200.

Right now I'm looking at the GrandTec USA Ultimate XP Pro [2].  It's
only $100 but someone else on mythtv-users liked it [3].

Fred

[1] http://tinyurl.com/n2ku
[2] http://www.grandtec.com/xppro.htm
[3] http://tinyurl.com/n2m2