[mythtv-users] help with ati remote and mythtv

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Sun Sep 14 23:04:01 EDT 2003

> i've installed the ati_remote 2.1.1 drivers from the gatos project and
> see feedback from 'cat /dev/input/mice' so i know my system is
> receiving commands from the remote. i followed the directions from the
> gatos project on sourceforge.  if you can't tell, i'm new to debian,
> and don't know where to go from here.

Sounds good, if you've got this far then you are pretty much there.

> my question is, how do i program mythtv to accept input from the
> remote?  do i use an Xmodmap specific for my mythtv user?  do i create
> an Xmodmap just for the mythtv app?  if yes on either, where can i get
> a pointer on what the file should look like?
>
> if no, then how are people doing this? i've read that the remote is an
> extension to the keyboard device, but the directions on install
> specify /dev/input/mice, so how can it be a keyboard device?

In fact, the remote acts like both a keyboard and a mouse. If you
have got to this stage then you should be able to press some of the
keys like 'a' and 'b' and if you are in a terminal window you can
see that these appear like normal characters.

You're right that you need to use an xmodmap for mythtv to map
the keys to the right keystrokes. There are several of these
posted in the mailing list archive if you search back.

I've just got this working myself this weekend so I haven't
gotten around to creating an xmodmap file yet, but once I
do I'll put it up on my website.

Matt

--
Matt N. Marsh