[mythtv-users] Myth Program Guide Kills my performance

Tue Sep 16 19:35:19 EDT 2003

> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 11:09 am, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> > Have a quick glance at my message posted about 8 hours ago, titled "Tip:
> > How to make the EPG a bit more snappy" and see if that helps?
> >
> > Basically, there are lots of queries run when you scroll around
> > (redundantly so in my opinion, however, recoding this is not a terribly
> > quick thing, so try the quick option in the meantime...)
>
> The easier option would be to turn off the alpha blending (Guide Shading
> Method in the Program Guide settings section).

Well, I guess that would help as well...!

I had a poke around the code under Thor's guidance, and the EPG grid seems to be doing a seperate, fairly heavyweight query for each program displayed in the EPG, to determine whether it should be recorded or not.  Nothing wrong with that, but it "appears" (at least to my eye") to be re-reading ALL the info each time, even if you only move half an hour to the right, say.  I'm prepared to be wrong on that of course!

If this is actually what is happening, then I might a) have a look at folding the "record type" query into the main "get the programs" query (which doesn't seem to fit easily into the object model as it stands though...), or b) see if it is easier to at least not throw away all the info when we are only scrolling by small increments. (Although perhaps I misunderstood that code?)

Anyway, still learning the code, so just having a poke about really

For example though, turning on mysql caching on my P2.8Ghz intel machine with FX5200 appeared to change everything from sluggish to pretty snappy.

As an aside are you planning to commit that little change suggested yesterday to make scrolling smoother on key repeat?  I thought I would wait and see if it arrived via CVS before manually merging.

Thanks all

Ed W