[mythtv-users] Is the pchdtv card looking good?

Steele Price steele at xtcp.net
Tue Sep 16 15:08:10 EDT 2003

I really hope that his guy can make his drivers work someday soon...
http://myhd.sourceforge.net
It's unfortunate he can't get anything out of the hardware vendor...

I just don't understand why hardware vendors are so reluctant to allow
opensource drivers to be developed, it only increases their sales, maybe
there is some licensing issue I don't seem to realize, but I really just
can't understand it.  I can think of several excuses they would use, but
nothing credible. Like bad user experience from low quality drivers, but
that's not really the issue here is it?

I own one of these cards and would love to use it in MythTV, and it's not
working is what lead me into the DVB-S area because there are several
DVB-S channels that the nexus can pick up, fox and abc in particular that
I was recording with the MyHD card.

I don't want to shell out yet another $200+ for a card when I have a
perfectly working card sitting on the shelf waiting for drivers.

I'd help him out on those too, but hell, I can't get involved in every
project that interests me (well, at least until someone invents a time
machine or floods my bank account with cash...)

back to the point... ATSC signals are ATSC signals, anything picking them
up is going to save the stream, but not necessarily in the same end
format, that is solely dependent on the drivers/software used.  The
AccessTV card was saving in an encrypted format for a long time (though I
think they stopped) and it was different than other cards in windows.  I
believe that saving a single stream is possible and could be very
beneficial from within software, It would be nice to see a stream
selection when HDTV really gets going so we can drop the lower quality
stream in transit(and vice versa) and just save the one we want, thus
saving LOTS of hd space.  Transcoding is yet another thing and is rife
with all it's own problems, but the newer transcode engine seems to handle
everything now (last spring it didn't)...

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop
http://xtcp.net