[mythtv-users] Sound ok when functioning as PC, disappears when connected to TV

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 17 00:22:18 EDT 2003

At 10:19 PM 9/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>First off I think Mythtv is awesome. Great job to all the developers.
>
>This is probably a stupid question but I didn't see it addressed anywhere
>in the archives. I get Mythtv installed and configured. I can record and
>view (with sound)  previously recorded programs fine as long as I am
>sitting at the computer connected to my monitor and computer speakers. I
>have SiS7012 audio by the way and it worked out of the box. When I move
>the box with keyboard and mouse upstairs and connect to the tv I get a
>great picture but no sound.  I am using the PVR-250 with a GeForce 4 MX
>440 SE. When I connect to my TV I use SVideo cable from TV-out on box to
>the TV. Do I also need to connect from the sound card to audio in on back
>of TV? If so what kind of connectors do I need? I thought I read something
>that the PVR-250 includes audio in the video stream.

You'll need a 1/8" stereo to L/R RCA audio cable, available at your local
radio shack.  The TV out is only for the video signal, the sound subsystem
is entirely seperate for playback.  The sound IS in the same file, but it
plays out your sound card, which you will connect the cable I mentioned to,
then to your TV or stereo amplifier.

-Jeff