[mythtv-users] CPU Opinions

Jason White axtools at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:41:35 EDT 2003

I've got a PIII-700 that I'm using with the PVR-250 with 384M RAM.  I've
got the PVR set at it's maximum resolution.  The CPU spins at around
60-65% when watching live TV but it's able to keep up and the picture
looks as good as what I'm pulling straight off the cable.  The only time
that it affects my video is sometimes when pulling up the on screen
guide it bogs down a bit and tends to skip frames.  I tweaked down the
alpha blending and it helped but didn't fix it.  May try the MySQL 4
caching at some point (using 3.x right now and since it's more or less
working I'm not ready for the upgrade).  The bottom line is that I don't
think that your processor is the problem...I've at least been pretty
successful with my 700.

The X-Box uses a 733 and a lot of people have been successful using it
as a front end but they aren't doing encoding on that machine at the
same time.  Just thought I'd throw that out as another data point.

Jason