[mythtv-users] Re: Newbie Help with vmlinux and dependencies

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 17 22:44:54 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 06:18 US/Pacific, Axel Thimm wrote:

>>> That should not be necessary, and if it were you should kick my ass
>>> fix it. ;)
>>
>> I'm currently kicking his ass. ;)
>>
>> We're working on it, but it isn't happening on Axel's end. I've got
>> two
>> slightly different variations with single and dual proc machines on my
>> end though. We'll keep everyone posted...
>
> Many thanks to Jarod for finding a nasty apt bug (you need to swap the
> order of the to be installed packages, otherwise apt blindly installs
> any package matching the constraints even though the following package
> would suffice), and for disclosing some atrpms bug dependecies for
> flavoured kernel & kernel modules (e.g. smp or bigmem users, probably
> only Jarod ;).

Well, I seem to recall some folks running dual PII systems out there...
;)

But yes, very unfriendly new bug in apt...

> Jarod will update the guide to include the apt workaround, and I will
> rebuild flavoured modules.

I've sent a revised guide off to Mark, which should show up on hist
PVRHW site in due course. Soon to come is an 'upgrading your system'
section, for upgrading both your ATrpms kernels and kernel modules, as
well as upgrading MythTV. I'm gunning to have it ready for consumption
before the next official MythTV release...

> In the meantime do the following:
>
> a) Install with
> apt-get install something-kmdl-`uname -r` something
> instead of
> apt-get install  something something-kmdl-`uname -r`

This, or the new method Axel and I have settled upon, which involves
setting an environment variable, since the uname -r method won't work
on flavored kernels, due to differences in kernel and kernel module
naming conventions. This is all covered in the latest guide rev.

> b) If you use smp or bigmem kernels, some kmdl falsly depend also on
>    the 'up' kernel (the normal one). Install that kernel, too, until I
>    will have fixed it.

The masses of smp MythTV users can probably manage in the mean time...
;p

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE