[mythtv-users] Using MythTV files remotely

Timothy Weaver Timothy.Weaver at at.redbull.com
Thu Sep 18 10:07:32 EDT 2003

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote on 17.09.2003 22:55:43:

> Couldn't you just use with the mpeg2 files from the pvr250?
> -the mpg's it generate are quite playable on any machine I would guess..
>
> I realize that you might end up with bigger files and/or less quality
> than with mpeg4, but it would seem to be a good approach. One that I'm
> trying to do for the very same reasons as you (record in US and watch
> in EU).... ;-)
>
> I would thing a combination of quarter (360x240) resolution and thin
> bitrate (1 or 2 mb.....or less) would make a decent video for watching
> over the web....... How far can you turn down the stream on a pvr250
> card?
>
> any insights?
> rgds
> anders

My problem is that with only an upstream of 12KBps from the MythTV box in
the US, MPEG-2 files would be way too large. It would literally take me a
day to transfer about an hour or two of programming.

Transcoding the MPEG-2 file to another format seems like the best approach.
Unfortunately, I misunderstood that the transcode functionality currently
in MythTV would transcode into a native MPEG-4 file, not just a NuppelVideo
file using the MPEG-4 codec. I haven't done any research, but I am sure
there are some tools that will let me move the MPEG-2 files into a better
format for this particular purpose. I will definitely post an update when I
get a viable solution.