[mythtv-users] OT: VGA to Component converter

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 18 22:48:37 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 06:16 US/Pacific, Jason Schloer wrote:

> Definitely let us(me) know how it goes.I'm considering that or the Keey
> digital one. Supposedly avsforum says key digital is the best, but it's
> like $170, whereas an audio authority can be had between 50 and 90 on
> ebay. If your experience is good I'll probably just go with the AA
> adapter.

I've now got it working. Can't do anything but 960x540p so far, and it
is overscanned way too much, but the picture quality is very good (WAY
better than S-Video). I still need to play some more, now that I have a
working setup. There are quite a bit of tweaks that can be made, once
you find a solid modeline. I've spent copious amounts of time reading
over at avsforum.com lately, and it has helped out tremendously.
There's quite a bit more to HDTV than I ever realized...

For now, I'm sticking with what I've got, until I have some more spare
time. I just used mythtv's built-in prefs to adjust the mythtv viewing
area and position, so everything is fitting the screen nicely right
now. The only problem is when I drop to the desktop, half the kicker
and icons aren't visible. Not that I use the desktop much, but I'd
prefer a slightly better fit.

I'm also thinking about swapping my Radeon 9000 Pro into my mythtv box
for a spell, to see if I can get a better fit and/or some other
resolutions (like either 1920x1080i or 1920x540p). I've seen Radeon
7000s for damned cheap at local shops, too...

The biggest issues for me seem to be
1) What sorts of input can the TV accept
2) What modes can the video card pump out

I'm definitely liking the adapter, now that I've got it working, and
wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Their support people are
even pretty helpful. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE