[mythtv-users] advice for frontend/backend

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 20 00:31:51 EDT 2003

On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 22:37 US/Pacific, Dave Stewart wrote:

> Like Sean and Neil, I too am a newbie trying to configure a system (and
> stay within budget!).  I'm leaning toward a micro-ATX case and thought
> I'd bring the Athenatech A100SC to people's attention. It's attractive,
> and is about the right size to sit on top of the VCR at 5.75 by 13.5 by
> 14.5 inches. I stumbled across this case at
> http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030804/case-14.html
>
> Has anyone built a system with this case?  It looks like you might have
> clearance problems between the CPU and back of the optical drive, with
> the wrong motherboard. No review talks about noise, either...

Most micro-ATX boards and cases SHOULD be designed in such a way that
this isn't ever an issue... As far as noise, I couldn't say. Usually,
you get what you pay for, and a cheaper system has cheaper (and usually
louder) fans and PSU. I didn't look at the price tag for that case
though...

> (changing subject) If you use the NVidia chipset motherboards, are the
> on-board graphics sufficient for software decode?  It seems that saving
> the cost of the AGP card is a good way to keep under budget.

Onboard GF4MX really isn't much different than an AGP GF4MX. It is
still AGP, just not in an AGP slot. The only difference may come in
video memory. Some may use system memory for video memory. But they
should still be plenty fast enough. I've decided I'm going to purchase
an Asus A7N8X-VM myself, and use its onboard video (and sound, if I
like what I hear when I get the digital coax out working).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...