[mythtv-users] nuvexport toolame?, mythmkmovie need help...

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat Sep 20 02:09:10 EDT 2003

> hmm this is really slow lol, or I'm just impatient to see if it works. It's
> been going at it for about 20min and it's only at 1 minute into the clip. Is
> it normally this slow or should I try cutting back on some options? I hit
> enter for each question so it used the defaults, and the files are 640x480
> divx around 2MB/s, mp3 audio. My linux box running mdk9.1 is running at 2700
> (o/c'd from a 2400+ AMD) wth 512 PC133 memory. Also noticed that the video
> has not been de-interlaced, is there anyway to do that through your options
> or do I have to do that myself later?

interlaced how?  frame interlace or pixel interlace?  I don't have
pixel-interlaced source, so I've never bothered to learn how to
deinterlace.

As for the slow, that DOES sound a bit slow.  But since the encoder runs
at nice -n 19, if you're doing anything else on the machine, the encode
will slow down.

For a reference, it takes my dual athlon 1900+ about 2-3 hours to encode
a half-hour show (commercial cut down to about 23 minutes).  My p4
2.4Ghz takes about 3-5 hours for the same.

If you want it to run faster, turn OFF the denoise option and it'll be
about 30% faster.  Or don't encode to svcd.

But basically, mpeg2enc SUCKS for speed purposes (it ain't so hot with
quality, either, compared to what's available in the windows world)..
But it's free, and it does work.

-Chris