[mythtv-users] Minimum Requirements for real-time MPEG-4 encoding

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Sep 25 11:04:15 EDT 2003

> Dell was selling re-stocked P4 2200 Mhz with a 400 Mhz front-side bus
> yesterday for < $400 (not a Celeron).  Any thoughts as to whether a
> system like this can do MPEG-4 encoding in real-time?  My P3 450 Mhz
> doesn’t even come close…

desired size/quality?   My p4 2.4/533 can do 3500kbps 640x480 with the
high-quality option enabled...  Uses about 70-80% of the CPU, but I
don't use myth for live tv, so it doesn't matter to me.  So with that
system, you could probably easily get away with 480x480 at a lower
bitrate.

You could also just use a nice HQ rtjpeg and then transcode to mpeg4
later.

-Chris