[mythtv-users] pvr250 dct2000 and modular serial port

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 27 18:41:22 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Sep 27, 2003, at 17:00 US/Pacific, Gary Balliet wrote:

> But I would love to be able to
> control my dct 2000. Lonny has had some success - so has Ian. I'm
> really
> curious as to whether Harondel has? As per Jarod's instructions I have
> made my serial ports modular but now I am at a loss.

Huh? What instructions? I never wrote anything about making serial
ports modular or trying to control a cable box...

> Have googled my way
> into verifiying that I have a serial port - as below, but do I need to
> do something a bit more enlightened than modprobe serial to allow my
> onboard serial port to work?

Your serial port should just work, if it is enabled in the BIOS...

> My results so far.
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS1 -v autoconfig
>
> /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
>
> So i believe I have a serial port and that it is enabled.

Looks like it.

> Would love to
> know if this is related to the lirc port ie does lirc grab /dev/ttyS1
> re
> the pvr250?

No, the PVR-250 remote interface is an i2c bus, not serial. In this
case, /dev/lirc is simply a character device. Run 'ls -l /dev/lirc' to
see what you have.

> Anyone know if this is just /dev/lirc?

It isn't. It is /dev/ttyS1 (which is typically the character device
file for COM2; COM1 should be /dev/ttyS0, which could be part of your
problem). It is possible that for some reason, you have /dev/lirc as a
symbolic link to it, but you shouldn't. If your PVR-250 remote is
working, then /dev/lirc should a character device, as I said above.

I have no experience using the PVR-250 remote and controlling a cable
box at the same time (or controlling a cable box at any time), so I
can't be of much more help at this point...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...