[mythtv-users] RE: BTTV

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Sep 28 12:18:25 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Sep 28, 2003, at 10:55 US/Pacific, ignacio wrote:

> See, thats what i did before, and what i would like 2 do know, but the
> problem is that i need to compile lirc to work wit hmy ir reciever
> (bundled with leadtek 2000xp), and that kernel does not allow modules.

Um, yes it does. Like Axel said: READ THE DOCUMENTATION. Here's a quick
tip: when you try to compile lirc, it gives you 	a message about your
kernel not supporting modules, which is where I'm assuming you got the
notion Axel's (and Red Hat's) kernels don't allow modules. Guess what?
That message isn't quite right. The problem is really that lirc isn't
finding your current kernel config file, so it just assumes that (a bug
that really ought to be taken up with the lirc folks). Simply copy your
running kernel's config file into place, and lirc will compile fine
(ATrpms kernels require an i2c 2.8.0 patch). I'm not certain if Axel's
lirc rpm has support for that remote, or if you've already tried it...

Your kernel config file can be found in /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/,
and say like me, you're running a single-processor Athlon for your
MythTV box. Just:

# cp /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/2.4.20-athlon.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4/.config

Now try your lirc compile (remember the i2c patch), if the ATrpms lirc
doesn't work.

> But, if i was to download  the kernel source, and recompile it, would
> i still get the v4l and the bttv drivers? If so, that is what i will
> do.

That would work too, but all you need to do is put the kernel config
file in place.

Also, try leaving a little bit of the message you're replying to in
next time. Trimming out unnecessary content is good, but removing
everything isn't, because then people can't be entirely certain what
you're replying to.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE