[mythtv-users] TV-card only (with good quality)?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 30 20:42:51 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003, at 15:50 US/Pacific, Emmanuel Allaud wrote:

>   Hi all,
> I have browsed the archives of this list (OK I did not spend hours
> doing that but I was not able to find a good advice on a good quality
> TV-card; I don't really care about recording other video sources, but
> I do care about the picture quality for TV. I found that PVR-xxx are a
> bit overkill for my needs (and too expensive also).
> Have you got any good (or bad experience that you can share here to
> enlighten me before I buy a crappy card?

The AVerTV Studio card sucks, the new Pinnacle PCTV Rave (not sure
about other Pinnacle cards) have a new, unsupported tuner, the new
WinTV-Go (as well as offerings from MSI and Asus, along with ATI's new
TV Wonder Pro) use the cx88 chipset instead of the bt8x8, and don't
work particularly well under Linux yet. From what I gather, the best
bt8x8-based cards are the ATI TV Wonder (not the VE or the Pro) and the
Leadtek Winfast TV Deluxe XP (or something like that).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...