[mythtv-users] X on tv-out pvr-350 Mandrake9.2

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Thu Apr 1 10:33:41 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rico Kind" <rico.kind at home.nl>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 4:47 PM

>I've been trying for days to get X working over my tv-out. I have no idea
>anymore what might be the problem. Hopefully there is some smart guy out
>there who can help me out. The problem is that when I (re)boot, there is no
>on the tv, just on the pc monitor.  When i play LiveTV the pictures appear
>on
>the tv and the pc blanks. When i press esc, the mythtv menu re-appears on
>the
>pc. Then, when I press ctrl-alt-Backspace there is some X output on both
the
>tv and the pc, but then the system hangs. My desire is to boot the pc and
>have X and LiveTV output on the tv. If there is also on the pc, that would
>be
>nice to have.

>Maybe the problem has to do with fbdev. I can't find any fbdev.o on my
>system. Also modprobe fbdev or modinfo fbdev has no result.
>Is it required? I downloaded XFree86_FBDev-3.3.6-29mdk but that didn't
help.

>I have the following setup:
>Compaq pressario 5831
>Mandrake 9.2
>Hauppauge pvr-350

I had a similar problem last night.  I'm also using a PVR-350 tv out.  In
the box I also have a chaintech nvidia MX440 card (with tv out) for monitor
VGA only.  I installed the nVidia driver from their web site and after
changing my XF86Config-4 from:
Driver "nv"
to:
Driver "nvidia"
and rebooting my box came up with a blank monitor and X login on the TV (via
the 350).  Ctrl-Alt-F1 gave me a console on the monitor and the mouse etc.
didn't move on the TV any more.  Ctrl-alt-F7 gave me control over the TV
again and the monitor was blank.  I just changed my XF86Config-4 back the
way it was and rebooted.  Back to normal.
Very strange because I had another chaintech nvidia card in there before and
it didn't do that?  Not sure if that helps any.

Later
Malcolm